Thursday, April 19, 2007

Soulforce's Nearly Invisible Visit

OK, it's near noon, and I've been at C.U. most of the morning, and if I hadn't known where to go for the Q and A session for staff, I don't think I would have known that Soulforce's Equality Ride was present to protest the University's biblical stance concerning homosexuality and gender confusion issues. I've heard of killing with kindness--this kind of looks like smothering with scheduling, and that is a very good thing, in my humble opinion.

The arrival of the group was not met with fanfare, and even their bus is not readily visible on campus. The session I attended was well populated with faculty and staff, and all listened politely as four Soulforce reps shared their perspectives. In answering questions, it became obvious that:
1. They don't have a clue about the true gospel of Jesus. None identified themselves as born again believers.
2. They do believe in diversity and people having their own truths, and as long as yours allow you to affirm me in my beliefs, it's beautiful.
3. They view any rejection as "homophobic." I didn't ask, but should have, is it possible for a person to come to the conclusion that homosexuality is sin and should not be practiced, and also not be homophobic?
4. Any time people on campuses speak kindly to them, apologize for injustices done to them, or give any possible indicator of being willing to talk with them, it is treated as victory, as affirmation, and as support for their encouragement to people to speak out.

Special kudos to Dr. Carl Ruby, whose questions/statements, especially the one raising the question about how love looks between people with strongly held opposing views exposed the weakness in their whole approach. This is not just a "conversation" in their minds where we can agree to disagree. If we keep people from freely expressing in a Christian context, "I am gay," then we are in the wrong, according to their take. And I am NOT saying that just because Carl takes issue with a few of my earlier opinions or examples.

The day isn't over yet, but I am encouraged, and very impressed with how the visit has been handled so far.

No comments: