Thursday, April 26, 2007

Is it "the enemy within," or just "the immature on paper?"

I may be becoming one of those grumpy alums students can't stand...if so, sorry.

OK, full disclosure: I am a former editor (2 and a half years) of the ancestor of the Cedars, C.U.'s student newspaper, back in the late '70s. We were not censored by the University during those days, but expected to censor ourselves. We tried to keep news as news, and offer opinion on an opinion page--we offered lots of opinions, too. We also saw our job to be that of being journalists with a Christian worldview (the concept was popular back then, starting with Dr. Allen Monroe in fall quarter's Foundations of Social Science). Thus, we tried to tell truth, and subject opinion to the "grid" or "lens" of truth. We hated the historic name we were stuck with (does Whispering Cedars sound like hard-hitting journalism to you?)During my years, I am sure that we published our share of rants and less than Pulitzer-quality news stories. The headline "Student Discovers 'Worm Like Object' In Food" still haunts me (I was holding out for "Maggots in the Meat!" but I lost to my co-editor).

That said, I have been increasingly disappointed by what seems to be a lack of biblical foundation in some of the opinion (and yes, some of the "news," too) stories I've seen in the Cedars the past 2 years I've been in town. Weak writing I can expect--people are learning. Points of view that are poorly expressed or weakly supported can fall under the same category. But promoting views that seem to be at odds with a biblical worldview and left unchallenged are bothersome at the very least.

The most recent issue featured an opinion piece in which a student author recounted his dialog with a friend who believes she has been a lesbian all her life ( the article is linked to heading above). She is described without comment as an adult homosexual Christian. Now, aside from the lack of a challenge to that idea, the account continues with this friend's desire to marry and be happy. The writer agrees. Viewpoints pro and con are not really examined, with one of the "weaker" arguments against gay marriage dismissed as silly. The writer's conclusion: America needs to uphold its promise of freedom to be happy for everyone, and we ought not to interfere.

Since this article was paired with another under the heading "Both Sides Matter," I figured that the companion piece would be a counterpoint. I was wrong. Instead, it was a professor's recollection of judging a debate where a gay debater for homosexual marriage identified himself as a friend of Matthew Shepard, the young man brutally murdered a number of years ago in Wyoming. The professor talked about the profound impact this personal contact with this gay man had on her, and caused her to realize the personal nature of this issue. And... that was it. Good thoughts, but no rebuttal. In fact, it could be taken (even if not intended this way) as endorsement. Do both sides of the argument matter? No, apparently only one side does.

Do I know gay people who want to marry? Yes. Are some of them people that I personally care about? Absolutely. Does this have anything to do with the political issues of gay marriage, of constitutional issues, or the relationship between societal norms, legal policy, and morality (i.e., legislating morality is what law is, at some level)? No. Does it address why Christians who uphold biblical authority may oppose gay marriage even while acknowledging Christians' failure to live up to the biblical ideal themselves? No. It doesn't even make an informed case for homosexual marriage. It only aims for feelings about fairness for nice people.

Bottom line--Cedars offered unbalanced opinion coverage supporting gay marriage. No debate, no real facts to consider, just lots of feeling. If this were an isolated case, that would be sad enough. Pair this, though, with the recent "puff" piece on Mel White--it honestly read like an adoring press release. The article offered no examination of the man's past and his agenda, or of the coercive tactics he chooses to seek to embarrass evangelicals in the media. It was left to Dr. Carl Ruby to offer a response, and while the initial story was presented as "news," Dr. Ruby's response was labeled a "viewpoint." In such cases, the paper seems content to be a promotional tool for various and sundry ideas, rather than a journalistic endeavor covering and commenting on the news and events of the campus, the area, and the world.

Without realizing it, I think the Cedars becomes strong evidence of the need for C.U. to establish a journalism program. If C.U. students are to become gatekeepers in society, as is often stated, then they need to know what a newspaper can and should be, and how Christians with developed biblical worldviews can and should report and opine. News coverage needs facts, and opinions need support other than feelings.

My hope is that next year, the Cedars will raise the bar for itself, seeing its mission as being the student newspaper of an institution whose very existence is "for the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rather than starting a school for journalism, C-U should take a hard look at its own mission. This place has become (from the top down) a marketplace of ideas in which the biblical viewpoint, though presented as the *right* one, is not imposed as if it is the *right* one. IOW, the Cedars reflects the overall strategy of the institution, one which was quite obvious in the public forums. In those public forums there was a presentation of the biblical view, with no call to repentance and an affirmation that some of the SF riders were brothers and sisters in Christ. While C-U for the longest time has not been telling students what they *must* think, C-U no longer tells its students how they *should* think, even as it affirms truth and certainty.

They want the best of both worlds... affirming absolute truth AND allowing students to make up their own mind while presenting competing truth claims on a level playing field. Tack on the existence of professors, such as the one in the Cedars article, who don't reflect the traditional (IMHO biblical) evangelical viewpoint and increasingly the truth claims themselves are not competing but aberrant. Thus, the Cedars article isn't surprising... it is par for the course and reflective of a condition that no journalism class is going to fix.

Cyberparson said...

I want to respond to a few points made in the comment by Anonymous (and I'll probably not post anonymous comments in the future, just to keep us all honest and careful).

First, I'm hopeful that Cedars failings, as noted, are not part of an institutional plan or approach, but just poor journalism (hence my support for a major).

Second, I don't know that I could say the prof. who wrote the article I mentioned actually opposes a biblical view--the subject matter was pretty nebulous, after all, so I want to give the benefit of the doubt there.

Third, open forums are just that--open. I don't think they are the venue in which to pronounce views right or wrong, although participants could say so as participants. I do think that other venues can (and I think if you consider the run up to SF's visit, did) assert right and wrong. I was not present to hear any CU reps specifically state that SF's reps were brothers and sisters in Christ. Did that happen?

Fourth, I'm intrigued that you believe that CU is seeking to move away from educating in the truth to advocating truth while allowing competing viewpoints equal access and advocacy. My limited exposure has not witnessed this, and I had pretty clear guidelines for the course I taught. I suppose I would need more evidence of this before evaluating this claim.

Thanks for the thought-provoking comment.

Bricolant said...

I came upon your blog when I googled "Dr. Allen Monroe," to find out the latest news about one of my favorite profs.

I did not find out much about Dr. Monroe's whereabouts, but I discovered a gem in the process!

I wish you all the success in the world with your blog.