Thursday, August 13, 2009

Honest Bible Reading

Why is it that when I read many of the great stories of the Bible, I identify with the "hero?" The stories of Jacob's 12 sons leave me thinking about myself in Joseph's sandals, even though I'm a firstborn with only one brother and one sister. David fighting Goliath? Yes, that's me winning battles for my Lord!

But this morning, as I was reading the story of Abram and Lot in Genesis 13, I became very uncomfortable as I slowed down and thought about the story. Abram doesn't want friction between himself and his nephew. He suggests that they separate, and even though he is older and entitled to a first decision, he offers Lot the choice of any direction he wants to go. Lot spies the fertile Jordan valley and especially its southern grasslands extending southward toward (and apparently beyond) what is now the Dead Sea. The other direction is mountains and hills prone to long dry spells (they had just gotten back from Egypt due to famine, which may have been a result of drought). For Lot, this is a "no-brainer," maybe even a "God provided" moment where he is given the chance to have what he believes he needs and certainly wants. So, he takes the choice and takes the fertile pastures of the valley.

What would I have done?

I'm afraid I know. I don't like hard things, and it is very easy to see an easy way ahead open up and believe that "God is in this." In the moment, I could easily have said, "Well, if you really don't care, I'll take the valley, Uncle. Thanks so much for your graciousness!"

Of course, life in the valley meant life around the cities of the valley, including Sodom. Lot gravitated the direction everybody else did, and soon found himself pitching his tent there. If you haven't read the rest of his story--it ends badly, with the only good news coming in 2 Peter 2. There we are told that as bad as things got, his heart was constantly bothered by the sin around him, because deep down he was a righteous man. Just not a very good nephew. Or family man. Or example. Or...

Abram was told by God not to fear that he had lost the best land, and that everything he saw--north, south, east, west--would belong to his descendants. He trusted, even though he didn't see it happen in his lifetime. There was something of greater value to him than immediate gratification, or easy and quick solutions, or guaranteed wealth protection. It was to hear and respond to God's voice. He wasn't perfect, either, but where Lot's slide into ignominy began with an easy choice, Abram's faithfulness was confirmed by his confidence in God's promises.

I pray that I'll keep reading honestly, letting the Word reveal my sins, not just inspire my fantasies.

No comments: