Thursday, May 14, 2009

How High a Priority is Creation Care For Pastors?

Right now the "Flourish Conference 2009" for pastors is going on in Duluth, GA, at Cross Pointe Church. It features a number of quality speakers and events (Their web site is here). Its defines itself in this way:

Flourish is a national conference for pastors and church leaders, is an invitation to one of culture's most exciting conversations: creation care. Our goal is to explore the biblical call to care for God's creation through the teachings of today's most insightful church leaders.


I believe that humanity was given a mandate to care for the creation; this work was both made more difficult and corrupted by the Fall, but continues as a responsibility of all people. Christians can and should exercise this mandate under the authority of the Word of God.

Having said that, I'm beginning to wonder how many pastors in local congregations, who really shepherd people throughout their week, have time to devote to "creation care," or other issues that may be biblically based but not the highest priority. Elders were to devote themselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word. Paul sets an example in Acts 20 of going personal involvement in discipleship. Peter calls upon us in 1 Peter 5 to shepherd (guide) the flock. Encouragement to recycle and "go green" may be culturally interesting today and deserving of mention when dealing with texts that relate to our creation mandate, but there seem to be a whole range of more important issues my people are dealing with than whether they should consider buying a hybrid car. I'm walking my flock through moral failures, unemployment, life-threatening illness, broken relationships, not to mention the many who need to know the power of the Gospel to save or to heal brokenness. I am teaching, counseling, and praying. I'm trying to watch my own life and walk, even as I seek to lead others.

I would suggest that it might be appropriate for others in the church to become advocates for creation care, but I'm not sure this is central, or even near the center, of the pastoral call. It's a conversation I'm not inclined to take time to participate in.

No comments: